Saturday, March 25, 2006

 

Puffed sleeves

Next week a colleague is coming over from across the pond and we have a week of meetings planned, a welcome break from lurking in archives. I've spent the last few days mentally preparing myself for the onslaught of being 'sociable', which also means looking a bit smarter than I need to most days. I looked at my once favourite smart trousers and realised that they were bobbled, hairy (Sandy's, not mine), and baggy in places I hadn't noticed before. So on my way home yesterday I took the bus down to Oxford Circus for a reluctant quickish stop at Topshop, with an unspent voucher from T in hand.

I headed off to the petite section, (being growth hormone challenged from a young age), which makes life so much easier, instead of doing my head in looking around the whole shop, (it's far too big), I just have a small area to peruse. Quite often it takes five minutes to realize there is nothing of interest, but once in a while I come across a gem and this was one of those days, there hanging up were pairs of smart black trousers, perfect. Even better there was a petite version of a white shirt I had eyed longingly in the standard size a few weeks back, even tried on, but had reluctantly decided that it was just too big. So I joined the queue for the changing rooms and guess what, once on, I looked like I was auditioning for the part of a waitress in a bad movie, as an aside, I realized the two really didn't work together.

The trousers fitted well, but the top on the other hand I couldn't decide about, the sleeves were a little extreme; short and puffed and it was still a bit big, also it was obvious that it had been tried on one too many times, having lost any remnant of starchiness it once had. I checked for a smaller size and trudged back to changing rooms. It was a little tight over my slack belly, but by then I was too tired to make a sensible decision, so I decided, choosing to ignore the voice in my head saying no, to go for the smaller size (anyone for sit-ups?) on the basis that it was in better condition than the bigger size, huh? What do you bet I'm back before the end of the week… any idea what's the best time to head for the returns counter? At the moment I can't face looking in the bag, I'm just hoping I was right about the trousers at least, moral of the story is I shouldn't even attempt to go shopping when I'm tired.
You are viewing a post on my old site. Click here to find this post on the new site.
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?